Monday, July 13, 2009

Getting My Mojo On!














Hi Everyone!

I never used to be a big fan of Mondays - that is until I started playing along with the Mojo Monday Sketch Challenge ! Now I really look forward to Mondays to see what the new sketch is and how I can interpret it.
So here is my submission for this week. I needed another Birthday card as my Aunt's is on Thursday. The color inspiration actually came from my Aunt's home. She lives in a beautiful one bedroom bungalow with lots of windows so it's sunny and bright just about all the time and her color scheme is brilliant blue and sunny yellow. I opted to use the new Crushed Curry card stock for this card because I LOVE this color and I like it very much with our Brilliant Blue card stock and the new Soft Suede card stock. My Aunt also has a beautiful blue and yellow floral print on one wall, so I knew I wanted to have floral elements on her card. So here is how I made this card...


  • Cut a piece of Whisper White card stock at 51/2" x 81/2" ; score at 41/4" for you card base

  • Cut a piece of Brilliant Blue card stock to 51/4 x 4" and 13/4 x 37/8"; set these aside

  • Cut a piece of Soft Suede card stock to 11/4 x 37/8", 11/8 x 21/4", 23/8 x 33/8" and 21/4 x 23/4" ; set these aside

  • Cut a piece of Crushed Curry card stock to 51/8 x 37/8". I inked up my French Script background stamp (retired) in Crushed Curry and stamped the card stock *HINT* When using the large background stamps I ink them and lay them on the table rubber side up and place the card stock on the rubber and use my brayer to press the paper onto the image for a nice even transfer.
  • I chose the large flower image from the level 3 hostess set Kind & Caring Thoughts, and I colored onto the image using the new In Color markers in Dusty Durango, Crushed Curry and Soft Suede; I misted the image lightly with some water, stamped it onto Whisper White card stock (21/4 x 31/4"), inked the edges slightly with Soft Suede and layered it onto a piece of Soft Suede card stock

  • Next, take the 21/4 x 2 3/4" piece of Soft Suede and run it through the Big Shot with the embossing folder of your choice ( I used Swiss Dots)

  • To make the band on the front, take the 11/4 x 37/8" piece of Soft Suede card stock and punch the edge with the Eyelet Border punch and the adhere it to the bottom of the Brilliant Blue card stock ( 13/4 x 37/8") using the Snail adhesive

  • Take a piece of Soft Suede Polka-Dot ribon (~51/2") and make a simple knot about 1 1/2" from one end; adhere the ribbon across the front of the band but not all the way around ; set aside
  • I wanted to continue with the floral motif so I inked up the small flower in Crushed Curry and stamped it randomly on a piece of Whisper White card stock (1 x 21/8"), then I stamped the greeting with Brilliant Blue ink *HINT* To make sure your greeting is perfectly placed every time, I use my Stamp-a-ma-jig

  • Layer the greeting onto the final pieces of Soft Suede and then Brilliant Blue card stock

  • The layering of the elements is what makes this sketch a bit tricky - start by placing the embossed piece of Soft Suede on the Crushed Curry front, next layer the large flower image

  • The Brilliant Blue band is next, once this is adhered across the front, you can the bring the ends of the ribbon around the Crushed Curry card stock and adhere it to the back of that

  • Add the greeting panel to the front using Stampin' Dimensionals for effect

  • Once this is done, layer it all onto the Brilliant Blue and then onto the Whisper White card base - decorate the inside as you like and enjoy!

I hope you get a chance to try out this card. I'd love to see any of your interpretations, and as always feel free to leave me a comment and let me know what you think!


Until then...

Happy Stampin'


3 comments:

Christine said...

Your take on the challenge is great. Beautiful card! love the colors

Vicki said...

Jenn, you did a beautiful job on this card! Great colors! Your aunt sounds like she would be a wonderful person to know! Blessings to you both!

Unknown said...

wonderful card, its beautiful!